Borough and Parish Elections 2023
The next elections will be on Thursday 4 May
Local government elections take place at least every 4 years. As a student in the UK, your vote in the local elections matters. By participating in the democratic process, you have the power to influence the policies and decisions that directly affect your community. Your Union is working with the Politics Society to bring you all the information you need to be an informed student voter.
To be eligible to vote in the next elections you need to be:
✔ Over 18 years of age
✔ Either a British, Irish, EU or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
✔ Registered to vote at an address in the area you want to vote in – Register Here
Voter photo ID
The most important change is the introduction of photo ID at polling stations. You’ll need one of the following types of photo ID to vote:
- a UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
- a driving licence issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands
- a UK passport
- a passport issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country
- a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
- a Blue Badge
- a biometric residence permit (BRP)
- a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)
- a national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
- a Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
- a Voter Authority Certificate
- an Anonymous Elector’s Document
If you do not have a type of photo ID that allows you to vote, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate
voting at more than one address
As a student, you are entitled to register to vote at more than one address, and you can choose where you would like to vote. If you choose to register in more than one place, you will be able to vote in local government elections in both places. This is allowed because you are voting to elect councillors to different councils.
You must register to vote in both areas. The local Electoral Registration Offices will check each application and tell you if you can register in both areas.
register to vote now
The registration deadline is 23.59 on Thursday 14 April 2023!
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to have your say in the matters that affect you and your fellow citizens – register to vote today by clicking here!