You should notify your agency or landlord at least two months before your contract is due to end that you will not be staying on. Good practice would suggest that you notify them at least three months in advance.

For many tenants the moving out process can be almost as stressful as moving in with so many different aspects to think about. You should take a moment to review the University’s flowchart for practical advice on the steps you should take.

Preparing to move out

  • Notify your utility providers (including the council) about your vacating date: you must provide final meter readings and a forwarding address
  • Read your inventory/check in as you must leave the property and items in the same condition
  • Agree your cleaning arrangements, the whole house is responsible to ensure that all rooms and communal areas are cleaned, don’t forget about the garden and do your best to leave the house in the same state as when you moved in!
  • Agree with the landlord/agency who will represent the household regarding the deposit return


The household most likely paid a six-week deposit at the start of the tenancy and no doubt you will be keen to have the amount returned in full. Ensure you are proactive and have a good understanding of the timeframe and process involved with getting your money back.

There are three government-approved tenancy deposit schemes:

Each of these schemes have their own processes and prescribed information which outlines how deposit disputes are dealt with. You should always try to resolve any disputes with your landlord/agent first as the scheme may not rule in your favour and therefore leave you out of pocket if they find you are in the wrong.

Landlord ending your tenancy

If you want to stay on but your landlord does not wish to renew your tenancy they must issue notice in the form of a Section 21 notice. If you receive one of these please get in touch with Citizens Advice or a member of the Support Zone who will help.

A landlord cannot evict you from a property nor are they allowed to change the locks without a possession order. Bailiffs (enforcement officers) are the only ones who should execute this order. If you are ever faced with such a situation it is advisable that you contact us or the University security office 01483 682002 (out of hours) who can confirm if this is legitimate.

Need more help or advice? Can’t find the answer on this page to your question?